This 4 ingredient flatbread recipe is one of my most made recipes and one of the best things I’ve learnt to make. It requires 4 ingredients, including water – all of which are pantry staples. Once you’ve made the dough and let it rest (to help the gluten relax); it cooks in 2 minutes on the stove and is almost impossible to mess up.
I use this flatbread for:
- As a dipping tool for these breakfast bowls
- As a lazy pizza dough (you can either cook as directed and then add toppings and broil in the oven to melt the cheese OR, bake it in the oven with toppings like you would for a regular pizza dough); and
- Pretty much anytime I want something bready in a hurry.
My Go To 4 Ingredient Flatbread Recipe
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 - 1/2 C water
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add in 1/3 C of water and mix together. If the mixture is too dry, add more water. If it is too wet, add more flour. Using your hands - knead the dough together until it forms a smooth ball (It takes about 5 minutes). You want a ball of dough that is smooth, not sticky and won’t break when you pull it.
- Place the dough into a clean oil bowl and cover. Let it rest for 1 hour, this helps the gluten relax and makes it easier to roll out. If you’re short on time, reduce to 30 minutes.
- After 1 hour, remove the dough and place onto a well-floured counter. Divide into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- One at a time, roll each ball out into a flat disk. You can choose to make it thicker or thinner. I like it thinner if I’m using it for wraps and thicker if I’m using it as side for a dish like these breakfast bowls, or a quick “pizza”. The rule of thumb is not to make that disk bigger than the pan you’ll be cooking it in. You want it to fit into the pan without bunching or creeping up the sides. This helps it to cook it fast and evenly.
- Heat a non-stick or cast-iron pan over the stove. You want the pan to be very hot, steaming hot. When the pan is heated, add the flatbread disc to the pan (you do not have to oil the pan). Cook for 1 minute. You’ll notice the flatbread start bubbling as it cooks. Flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until cooked with brown charred spots. Remove and set aside. Continue with the remaining flatbread discs