Made from ground chickpeas, Chickpea flour is high in protein (21 grams per cup) and dietary fiber. Its earthy flavour makes it ideal in savoury dishes. These chickpea pancakes are not a fluffy consistency but rather dense and filling with a savoury taste. We topped ours with caramelized onions and peppers but you can top if with any vegetables you have on hand.
Chickpea Pancake with Caramelised Onions and Peppers
- 1 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced thin
- 6-8 small sweet peppers (yellow, orange and red) sliced thin
- 3 tsp dukkah
- In a small bowl, combine chickpea flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Add in the water and mix until there are no lumps. Divide batter into three portions
- Heat ½ teaspoon of olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Pour a third of the batter into the pan. Cook for a few minutes, until it's browned on the bottom and comes away easily from the pan. Flip over and cook for another minute or two. Repeat with the remaining two portions of batter.
- To make the caramelised onions and peppers, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pan. Sauté sliced onions for 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add in peppers and cook for another 3-5 minutes until peppers are soft and onions are golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide the onion and pepper mixture between the three pancakes and top with a generous sprinkle of Dukkah.