Full-fat coconut milk is the best non-dairy ice cream base. Ad in some toasted coconut and dark chocolate shavings and you have a healthier ice-cream. This Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream does require an ice-cream maker.
However, if you don’t have one, you can use a trick I’ve used before to get that creamy ice-cream feel. Pour the coconut milk mixture in a flat freezer proof pan after Step 2. Once solid, cut it up into chunks (I run a knife through the mixture to cut it up). Add pieces to a a blender and blend till smooth and soft serve like. Eat right away or store in a freezer proof container in the freezer. This does require a bit more effort, but after this is the best way to get that creamy and smooth ice cream consistency without an ice cream maker!
Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cans coconut milk full fat
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 60g dark chocolate chopped or grated
You will also need
- ice cream maker
- In a small pot, combine coconut milk, maple syrup and salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
- Allow mixture to cool in the fridge for a few hours or overnight (mixture must be completely cool before churning)
- Whilst the mixture is cooling, toast the coconut in a pan over a medium flame for about a minute. Chop/Grate the chocolate into small flakes. Set aside.
- Once the mixture cools, churn it in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once the mixture is churned, fold in the toasted coconut and chocolate shavings. Serve immediately or store in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.