This Instant Pot mushroom barley soup is the perfect winter meal – it’s hot, comforting, full flavoured and the barley makes it hearty. It is cooked entirely in the Instant Pot which means, no watching a pot and the barley which takes 60 minutes to cook on the stove, cooks in just 20 minutes. You start by sauteing the vegetables, a step not to be missed as this helps develop flavour and gives you mushrooms that are browned and crisped up instead of spongy, water-filled mushrooms. Next, it’s just a matter of adding spices, water, broth and barley and cooking on high pressure.
I used bone broth (recipe here) but you can use chicken broth (recipe here) or vegetable broth (recipe here). I also rinsed and then soaked the barley for 8 hours in 2 cups of warm water and 1 tablespoon of apple cider, and then rinsed it again after the soaking. This is not necessary, but I’m going through a soak all grains phase as it’s said to remove some of the naturally occurring phytic acid, which inhibits mineral absorption, and helps break down some of the hard-to-digest-proteins.
While I have not made this without an Instant Pot, it should be an easy adaption. Follow the first three steps, just sauté everything in a large pot. Once you have done that, add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 50-60 minutes or until the barley is cooked to your liking.
Instant Pot Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 stalks celery washed sliced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 250 grams brown mushrooms washed and sliced
- 3 cup water
- 5 cup bone broth or any broth you like
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup pearl barley uncooked
- Turn the Instant Pot onto the Sauté mode and add the olive oil. Allow for it to warm up for 2 minutes and then add in the finely diced onion. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute, stirring often.
- Add the sliced celery, carrots and mushrooms to the Instant Pot and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, stirring often until the mushrooms have released their liquid and have started to brown.
- Cancel the Sauté mode to switch the Instant Pot off.
- Add the water, broth, spices and barley to the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Place the lid of the Instant Pot onto the Instant Pot, and make sure the pressure valve is sealed. Cook on manual High Pressure for 20 minutes. The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to come up to pressure.
- When the pressure cooking is complete, the Instant Pot will beep to notify you. Use the quick release method by moving the pressure valve to the open position and letting it release. Once the float valve has dropped, open the lid.
- Press cancel to switch off the Instant Pot.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Serve immediately or alternatively you can use the Keep Warm function on the Instant Pot to keep the soup warm until you are ready to eat it or to reheat it.