Oven baked Sheet Pan Nachos are easy to make, easy to customize to your taste and delicious. I keep mine vegetarian by using black beans, a bright Pico de Gallo and cheddar cheese.
Tortilla chips are the most important ingredient of nachos. I use these plain tortilla chips from Azteca Mexican Foods. They come in an enormous bag, and I use roughly 2/3 of the bag. You want a nice layer of tortilla chips, one that is not too thin that it can’t hold the topping and not too thick that the bottom layer won’t get crisped up.
You can use canned – just rinse and drain them well. Alternatively, you can cook dried black beans
Pico de Gallo
I add corn from fresh cobs, but if you’re pressed for time or don’t have fresh, a can would work.
I use these pickled jalapeños, however you can also use a raw jalapeño if you prefer, just deseed it before adding to the blender.
- 1 bag plain tortilla chips
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley or cilantro to garnish
Pico de Gallo
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 2 tomatoes finely diced
- 2 cobs of corn
- 1 jalapeño finely diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 avocados peeled and pits removed
- 1 lime juiced
- ½ pickled jalapeño
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C and spray a large sheet pan/baking tray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make your Pico de Gallo by boiling your cobs of corn for 5 minutes or until cooked. Allow to cool and then cut the corn off the cob. Add the corn to a bowl along with the remaining Pico de Gallo ingredients (diced onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper). Set aside .
- Add 4-5 handfuls of tortilla chips to your sheet pan and spread into an even layer (you want the layer to be 3-4 chips deep). Depending on the size of your tortilla chip packet and the sheet pan, you’ll likely have left over chips.
- Top the chips with Pico de Gallo, black beans, and shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubblyWhile the nachos are baking, make the avocado crema by adding all the ingredients to a blender and blending until smooth.
- Once the nachos are cooked, remove from the oven and top with spoonsful of avocado cream and fresh parsley (or cilantro).
- Eat up!