Veggie burgers are either hit or fall-apart miss. These smoky beet bean burgers are a hit, one that doesn’t fall apart and works well baked. The secret to the flavour is smoky paprika which gives it that smoky flavour. And it’s packed with beans, quinoa and beets making it a substantial patty.
I served mine in burger bowls, along with lettuce, carrots, radishes, thick cut sweet potato fries and an avocado herb mix on the side. You can also serve it in a burger bun.
I made these vegan, but an egg should work as a binder instead of the flax water mix.
To make sweet potato fries you can follow these directions using a sweet potato instead of potato. The avocado herb mix was avocado mashed with fresh parsley, basil, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper
Smoky Beet Burger Bowls
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 C quinoa cooked
- 2 C beetroot grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp smoky paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Sweet potatoe fries
- vegetables I used lettuce, carrots and radishes
- Avo and Herb Mix
- Preheat your oven to 180 and line a baking tray with baking paper
- If you haven’t cooked your quinoa, cook it and allow it to cool. You’ll need approximately ½ cup uncooked quinoa to yield a cup cooked.
- Make your flax egg by combining the water and flaxseed meal. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes until it thickens.
- Add all your ingredients to a food processor and pulse until it forms a sticky mixture that will hold its shape when shaped. Don’t over-process the mix.
- Measure 1/3 Cup of the patty mix and shape it into a patty. To shape I add the mix to a measuring cup, press it down and then turn it over and bang it out onto the baking sheet where I’ll fix it to form the perfect patty shape.
- Bake for 20 minutes, gently flip the patties over and bake for another 10-15 minutes until it’s slightly browned on the edges and holds together when you pick it up.
- Serve it as a burger or in a bowl like I did with avocado, lettuce, carrots, radishes and sweet potato fries.