The seemingly never ending rains of the past few weeks have rudely stolen our summer. As the autumn crispness fills the air, sniffles have started creeping in. For those of us who are in the midst of a heavy training schedule leading up to important events, even the slightest indication of a cold will send waves of fear through us.
So when we stumbled across this recipe from Green Kitchen Stories for this Ginger Tumeric infused honey (said to keep the cold and flu at bay) we got to work mixing it up. It has become a staple in teas for the past week and has kept us sniffle free.
As GKS explains, ginger has antibiotic affects, helps with digestion, inflammation, infections, joint pain, circulation and nausea. Tumeric, an antioxidant cleanses the entire body and acts as an anti-inflammatory thanks to its active ingredient curcumin. A pinch of black pepper is added to enhance the bioavailability of the curcumin.
For those who are putting their bodies through the rigours of heavy training and racing, this is a must have recipe.
Ginger Turmeric Infused Honey
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2-3 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1-2 tsp turmeric
- zest of 1 lemon
- pinch ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well
- Adjust according to your taste, adding more ginger or turmeric. We went with 3 Tablespoons of ginger and 1 teaspoon of turmeric. You want a strong flavoured honey as you use just one teaspoon at a time.
- Enjoy a teaspoon or two in a glass of hot water, tea or mix into your morning oatmeal or even a smoothie!
- Store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks