Sunflower seed crackers, because in the latest floury news, you can now buy sunflower seeds ground up into a flour (I got mine from the Pick n Pay Livewell range located in their health food aisle). It is far more affordable than almond flour and a perfect option for those with nut allergies.
I’ve tried it out in muffins (which if they turn out good in round two, shall make their appearance here) and in these sunflower seed crackers. I used this recipe as a guide, subbing the almond flour for sunflower seed flour and switching up the herbs. The result was perfectly crispy crackers that have a subtle sunflower taste. The perfect vehicle for a dollop of hummus, rhubarb jam or some cheese – dairy or cashew if you prefer.
Sunflower Seed Crackers
- 3/4 C sunflower seed flour
- 1/2 C Rice flour
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 C water
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add water and olive to the dry ingredients and mix into a slightly sticky dough that you can form into a ball. If the mixture is too dry add some more water (tablespoon by tablespoon) until it comes together in a ball.
- Place your dough ball on the baking paper and add another layer of baking paper to the top. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a thin rectangle in between your baking paper sheets. You want it to be as thin as possible.
- Remove the top layer of baking paper and cut the dough into squares. I cut them into 5cm by 5 cm squares, but you can go bigger if you like. Don’t worry if you get off cut pieces, they add to the charm of homemade crackers. You do not need to separate the crackers from your cut lines, you’ll be able to break them apart easily once baked.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until they’ve darkened in colour. Remove from the oven and let them cool before breaking them apart and storing in an airtight container.