Much like last week’s orange sweet potatoes, rhubarbs are not a vegetable (yes it’s a vegetable) you often find. They’re one of the only vegetables that are used in sweet foods without so much as a second thought and add a really nice tang to desserts. You can eat them raw (except for the leaves which are poisonous) but they’re better cooked.
In deciding whether to turn a fresh bunch into a crisp, muffin, ice cream or sauce, the crumble won (because I also had on hand strawberries and apples that needed to be used… and it involved ice cream – ice cream ftw!). Crumbles are also one of the easiest desserts you can make. This Rhubarb, Strawberry and Apple crumble is tart, slightly sweet with a nice combination of chewy bits (soft caramelised dates) and crisp. I used half rice flakes and half oat flakes but you can stick to regular oats. I personally loved the rice flakes as they have a much crispier feel than the oats. Alone it does taste like a “healthy” dessert – so if you have a sweet tooth, a scoop of ice cream is a must.
Rhubarb, Strawberry and Apple Crumble [Gluten Free, Vegan]
- 10 thin Red Rhubarbs sliced
- 200g fresh/frozen strawberries quartered
- 1 red apple cored and chopped
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 zest of 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup rice flakes
- 1 pinch Salt
- 6 tbsp coconut oil room temperature (plus more for greasing pan)
- 15 fresh, soft dates pitted and chopped
- ice cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C / 350°F and Grease a 22 cm baking dish with coconut oil.
- Place the chopped and sliced fruit into a baking dish and add vanilla, lemon juice and honey. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Prepare the crisp topping in a separate bowl. Mix together the oat flakes, rice flakes and salt.
- Chop the dates and add to the flake mixture along with coconut oil. Use your hands to mix until large crumbs are formed. Pour the crisp topping over the fruit in an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the fruit juices are bubbling around the edges and the crumble is firm and browned.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream