How to make roasted strawberry banana oat muffins without gluten, dairy or refined sugar
These wholesome muffins come in at 152 calories each and taste like they’re good for you. Most of the sweetness comes from the ripe bananas (the riper the banana, the sweeter the muffin).
I like blitzing bananas in a blender whenever I make a banana bread or muffin as it gives a less lumpy and creamier texture. But you can skip the blender and just mash the banana with a fork.
The same goes with the roasted strawberries. I love the taste – roasting strawberries intensifies the flavour and holds a bit better in baked goods. But you can just skip the roasting and add fresh chopped pieces into the muffins.
Roasted Strawberry Banana Oat Muffins [Gluten Free, Dairy Free Refined Sugar Free]
- 250g fresh strawberries
- 2 ripe banana blitzed in a food processor.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/3 cup oat flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
You will also need
- 12 hole muffin/cupcake tin
- 12 muffin / cupcake liners
- To roast the strawberries, Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Wash the strawberries, remove the stems and quarter them. Lay them out on the baking tray, making sure they don’t overlap. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the strawberries have shrunk and their juices have come out. Remove and allow to cool.
- While the strawberries are cooling, make the muffins. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine the mashed bananas, eggs, honey, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients – oat flour, oats, salt and baking powder.
- Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the roasted strawberries
- Divide the batter between muffin liners and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins and placing on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.